In 2022, St Mary’s has been included into a pilot program implementing RULER in our school.
RULER is a systemic approach to Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) developed at the Center for Emotional Intelligence. RULER aims to infuse the principles of emotional intelligence into the immune system of schools, informing how leaders lead, teachers teach, students learn, and families support students.
RULER is an acronym for the five skills of emotional intelligence:
- Recognizing emotions in oneself and others
- Understanding the causes and consequences of emotions
- Labeling emotions with a nuanced vocabulary
- Expressing emotions in accordance with cultural norms and social context
- Regulating emotions with helpful strategies
This skill development relies on four core tools, which are introduced to all stakeholders in the school community—school leaders, teachers, staff, students, and families: the Charter, Mood Meter, Meta-Moment, and Blueprint.
For more information, watch the RULER informational video found here.